🎧 Episode 07: Engaging Tribal Communities (CHC)

Follow Stocking The Pantry this month for a special (3) episode series highlighting sessions at the upcoming CalFresh Healthy Living Forum.

Join hosts Colby and Tee in conversation with Noelle DiSano and Cole Morales from the Center for Healthy Communities (CHC), California State University, Chico. Our guests actively apply trauma informed practices in their work with 19 sovereign tribes in the Northern California region and will be presenting a session (see below) full of best practices and insights titled: Engaging Tribal Communities.

The CalFresh Healthy Living program (State of California SNAP-ED) holds an annual conference in October (23rd-25th at the Hyatt Regency Orange County in Garden Grove, CA). This year’s theme is: Equity in Action: Supporting Healthy Communities Together. Even if you are not able to attend in person, you’ll enjoy these insightful conversations.

Come curious, leave inspired, and share your thoughts with us here on the PLC!

5 Likes

This was such a fun episode to record. Noelle and Cole are so passionate about their incredible work and have so much wisdom to share. Enjoy!

3 Likes

One of the advantages that I have is that I have worked in the Tribal Community Housing Department for 22 years and also a Tribal member. I changed jobs in May of 2023 to work with Wabanaki Public Health and Wellness and SNAP Ed. Due to previous employment and my relationship with our Tribal Communities, it has made it easier to start introducing new opportunities and open communication around both Tribal Pantries, PSE work, Obesity prevention and SNAP ED. And so far, they have been very receptive to these opportunities. I am excited to start working on some PSE work at the Pantry.

4 Likes

This is powerful in so many ways! What you shared was also highlighted during the Engaging Tribal Communities forum session. After attending this session and reading your post, I am truly grateful and inspired by your dedication to investing in nourishing opportunities for growth while celebrating cultural resiliency. Thank you for sharing; keep thriving!

3 Likes